I noticed that when I post a couple of times a week, you see them in reverse order. So I am going to try a different approach. I am going to keep adding to the same post over the span of a week. Starting today, which is ...
Saturday, December 10th
I'm still working on filtering time records by "Invoiced?". This will be the last feature that I tackle before working out user roles and ecommerce. My self-imposed deadline for the launch is December 31st, and I only give myself a 50/50 chance of making it.
So back to "Invoiced?".
After slavishly following Support's suggestion...drum roll...IT WORKED!!!
I can't say that I understand why the changes that I just made work, but they did. I hope this turns out to be a 'factoring' experience. In high school I learned to do factoring in math class by memorizing the steps. A month later I suddenly 'got it'. Let's keep our fingers crossed because I don't think this is the last time I will need to use this little routine.
This 'Invoiced?' filter is a nice feature. Anyone that uses the app to invoice by the hour will need a record of which hours have been invoiced. You could make your own record, but there are other benefits by the app doing it. By being part of the app, you can filter all hours by "Billable?" and by "Invoiced?" to see the value of the work that has been completed so far this month. My expensive Deltek system could only do that after each pay period when all the time was 'posted'.
I should note that I am assuming a work flow that must be followed for this to work for you. Here are the assumptions:
By the time I launch the INVOICE Module of the app, I expect to offer more flexibility, especially if enough people express the need.
Sunday, December 11th
After the big accomplishment with 'Invoiced?', I went on to correct the Billable Report. This is a pie chart that shows the ratio of billable time to non-billable time. After all the edits to make 'Invoiced?' work, I found that this could now be set up as I had intended. What I had, which you can see in the embedded app, is a pie chart that presents this ratio, but it uses all time and you can't change it. After a couple of months, your current ratio gets swamped by all the other time. The 'Billable Hours Percentage' becomes useless.
I found that now I could add the filters that make it helpful. When you open the 'Billable Report' (new name) it is showing you only active projects for the current month. But you can change the time period to anything.
Why do you want to know this?
Here is more about this topic.
I began working on Users today. The concept is to assign one of several roles to each user to limit what they can see. I am planning on four roles:
Level 1 - can only see/edit their own records on the Timesheet page. Everyone would be assigned the Level 1 role.
Level 2 - can see/edit everyones time records and can view/read only project and phase information like time budgets and job-to-date totals of hours.
Level 3 - can see/edit everyones time records and can see/edit/create project and phase and client information. In the future EXPENSE module this level would have access to project income and expense info, and billing rates, fees, etc.
Admin - has access to everything including the firm's financial records, and user records for the app.
I am working on Level 1 and it is going fairly well, except... My fancy Task that adds time records to your timesheet for you is unlikely to play well with the User Roles. Right now it is creating simple time entries with zero hours for whichever Project-Phases are tagged 'Display? = Yes'. Let's say the firm has four people. Ideally each would determine which records show up on their timesheet. The Task doesn't address this yet. My gut tells me this will be an order of magnitude more difficult to work out than what I have now.
Monday, December 12th
Well I have babysitting duties today, so progress depends a lot on how tiring the day will be. Sometimes Happy Hour starts 10 minutes after the kids depart - and that's it for the day.
* * *
Today was a bit like that. Here's all I have - some thinking about the Task revisions that I want to make.
Tuesday, December 13th
It seems obvious now that setting up the Task that populates the Timesheet every day was bound to break when Users were introduced. I really struggled with getting that Task to work. Knack Support will back me up on that. We will see if I learned anything.
I don't have much time today. Lunch and dinner out. Damn holidays.
My time today was spent planning and thinking about how the revised Task will need to work. The resulting plan is to change the Display? field (think spreadsheet column) into its own object (think spreadsheet). That way I can tightly relate the Project-Phase, User, and status of being displayed or not - Yes/No.
Can't wait to try it tomorrow.
Wednesday, December 14th
Well, I re-did a lot of yesterday's planning. I realized that I wasn't certain that the Task would work because there are three pieces that have to come together - Display status, Project-Phase and User. Before it was just two pieces - Display status and Project-Phase. This is the result of my analysis of how each object might furnish the needed connections. I really thought the Task would stay in the Project-Phase object.
Next is my plan for setting up the task.
And fially my step by step plan to implement, which is admittedly overkill, but I was dying to use my new writing app, Bear. (Had to have it.)
540 Beaumont, Fort Wright, KY
VM: (859) 444-4560
Developed by Architekwiki | A Resource For Architects
© 2016-2020 Architekwiki
© 2016-2020 Architekwiki